The Cite While You Write plugin allows communication between EndNote and Microsoft Word. Download the Cite While You Write plugin from myendnoteweb.com > Downloads. EndNote commands will appear in Word once the plugin is installed.
EndNote Online Downloads - Cite While You Write plugin
Cite While You Write in MS Word Toolbar
To insert citations into your Word document, remember that anything you want to cite must be saved to your EndNote library.
- Start typing your document. Place the cursor where you would like to insert a citation.
- Click on the Find Citation command in the EndNote toolbar to open up a connection to EndNote Basic. You will be asked to log in to your EndNote Basic account. Enter a term in the search box that will bring up the desired citation(s) in the search results. Click on the citations(s) to be inserted, then click Insert.
- EndNote Basic will insert the citation in the document and start to build your references at the end of the document. The references may appear in a generic format.
- To make the in-text citations and reference list appear in the style of your choice, ex. APA 6th, JAMA, Vancouver, etc., click on the arrow in the Bibliography button to see your options.
- Continue writing your document and inserting citations.