The Health Sciences Library (HSLib) at the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa’s John A. Burns School of Medicine develops collections, resources, and services that meet the educational, instructional, and research needs of the John A. Burns School of Medicine (JABSOM) and the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa (UHM). To meet those needs, the Library provides computer equipment for the purpose of accessing information resources via the Internet. The Library Public Computer Use Policy is part of the Library’s overall policy structure and should be interpreted in conjunction with other existing policies and procedures. This policy refers to computers in public (non-staff) areas.
Using Library Computers to Access the Internet
The purpose of providing computers and Internet access is to further the educational, instructional, and research mission of JABSOM and UHM. Library computers and related equipment should be used only to access information resources for educational, instructional and research needs. The use of Library computer equipment for other purposes is prohibited.
Library staff are available to provide assistance and instruction in the use of the Internet as a research and information resource. Please note that the Library does not monitor or control Internet content and cannot be held accountable for any information accessed through the Internet. Library users must respect the rights of other users and abide by all University and Library policy, licensing, and contractual agreements. Library users must not use equipment in an unsafe or harmful manner and should not damage equipment and facilities.
Library users must comply with the University of Hawai‘i Policy on Acceptable Use of University Computer and Information Resources
JABSOM and UHM faculty, students, staff and other officially affiliated UH users have priority for accessing information resources and using library computer equipment. Non-affiliated users are limited to a single session of up to a half hour per day for health-related research utilizing the Library’s licensed online resources. No email, web-surfing, or word-processing allowed. Non-affiliated users are required to sign-in at the Information Services Desk for computer use. Non-affiliated users may be asked to relinquish computers to JABSOM or UHM faculty, staff, or students at any time. Any user may be asked to show valid UH identification.
Appropriate Computer Use
The Library’s public computers may be used to access the Library’s catalog, databases, and online subscriptions for conducting health-related research.
Printing and downloading from Library computers is allowed only on designated computers. Printing may only be available on a fee-per-page basis.
Word Processing/Microsoft Office Products
Microsoft Office Products, such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and other programs are restricted for use by JABSOM or UHM students, faculty, and staff only. Use of these programs may be password protected.
Electronic Mail (E-mail)
E-mail is prohibited on Library computers except for educational, instructional and research-related activities.
The following is considered unauthorized computer use and is prohibited:
- Knowingly or carelessly performing an act that will interfere with the normal operation of computers, peripherals, or networks;
- Attempting to circumvent data protection schemes or uncover security loopholes;
- Using the network to gain unauthorized access to any computer systems;
- Masking the identity of an account or machine, which includes, but is not limited to, sending mail anonymously;
- Attempting to monitor or tamper with electronic communications of other users, or reading, copying, changing, or deleting files or software of other users;
- Installing or uploading of software programs or graphics;
- Using a computer account that you are not authorized to use.
- It is also University policy that:
- Displaying of sexually explicit images or sounds where others can see or hear them may create a hostile environment and could constitute sexual harassment according to University policies on sexual harassment. Library staff may intervene and direct users to cease this activity;
- University resources are intended to be used for institutional purposes and may not be used for private gain;
- Users must observe all laws relating to copyright, trademark, export and intellectual property rights.
Some Library computers may be designated for specific purposes. Specific rules are posted adjacent to computers so designated. Sign-up sheets may be supplied in order to secure use time. Other Library computers may require authentication of UH affiliation in order to be used.
It is the policy of the University to deny access to any person who violates this policy or who uses the University’s technology resources to violate other duly established policies or laws.
Revised September 2009