The Health Sciences Library has three Group Study Rooms (107A-C) and a conference room called the Quiet Reading Room available for reservation by JABSOM students, faculty, and staff. Reservations are considered on a first-come, first-served basis. The Library reserves the right to reject any reservation requests.
To ensure that the environment is conducive to study and research, all Library users are to abide by the Library User Conduct Policy as well as the following Group Study and Quiet Reading Room Policy:
- Rooms may be reserved for use by JABSOM students, faculty, and staff for school related activities. Priority will be given to PBL (Problem Based Learning) Tutorial groups.
- Group Study Rooms are intended primarily for studying. During normal business hours (Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM) these rooms may be reserved by JABSOM faculty/staff with the Library Director or Head of Public Services’ approval.
- After 5:00 PM, the Group Study Rooms are for medical student use only. An exception would need either the Director or the Head of Public Services’ approval.
- The Quiet Reading Room is in the public domain of the library (easily accessible to all, with or without programmed access cards) and therefore may continue to be reserved as a meeting place for JABSOM affiliates.
- Groups have priority over individuals studying in any of these rooms. A group of two or more may reserve a Group Study Room and a group of six or more may reserve the Quiet Reading Room.
- Smoking, food, and beverages are prohibited in these rooms or in any other part of the Library. The only exception is plain water which must be carried in a sealable container. The Library staff reserves the right to inspect all drinking containers to ensure compliance.
- Moving furniture into or out of any of the rooms is prohibited. If furniture is rearranged within the rooms, it must be moved back to the original arrangement when the meeting is over.
- Nothing may be affixed to the walls, ceilings, or doors.
- Defacing or damaging any Library property contained within these rooms, including the rooms themselves, is strictly prohibited and in violation of Hawai‘i State Law. Anyone caught doing so will be prosecuted to the full extent of that Law.
- Library users are solely responsible for their own personal property. Personal items should NOT be left unattended at any time. Library staff is not responsible for the loss or theft of any personal item(s). Any unclaimed personal items found by Library staff will be turned in to the JABSOM Security.
- Room doors should remain closed at all times to reduce noise levels. Users should refrain from loud conversations as it may disturb others outside the rooms.
- Prior to leaving the rooms, users should erase all work from the whiteboards, place markers and erasers where they belong, and dispose of all trash.
- The lights should be turned off when vacating a room.